The Observation Process for Practicum Candidates
Initial Visit, Observations (Please follow established time frame.)
- University Supervisors should contact the practicum student and cooperating teacher in order to set up an introductory meeting in which all requirements and expectations are discussed. In addition, observation dates may be tentatively agreed upon.
- Practicum students are observed minimally twice (midterm and final) during the practicum field experience. The University Supervisor may determine additional observations are needed based upon the practicum student’s performance.
- University Supervisors use the “Field Experience Observation Form” during any formal observation. This observation is discussed with the practicum candidate as soon after the observation as possible. Discuss any concerns with the cooperating teacher and determine any items needing attention. Always reference the LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity so that all components are addressed throughout the practicum experience and guides them toward requirements for student teaching.
The Evaluation Process for Practicum Candidates
Final Evaluation (Please follow established time frame.)
- Both the University Supervisor and Cooperating Teacher complete the final evaluation within the Tk20 system.
- Tk20 url (https://tk20.campbell.edu/campustoolshighered) and passcodes are sent by Field Experience Office to each of the Cooperating Teachers prior to the midterm evaluation for the practicum student. Each University Supervisor should already have access to the Tk20 System. University Supervisors should remind the Cooperating Teacher to complete this evaluation within Tk20 as well.
- After the final observation is completed, the University Supervisor and Cooperating Teacher will complete a "Evaluation Protocol for the Practicum Candidate" within the Tk20 electronic system.
Observation/Evaluation Tools Utilized During Practicum Field Experience
- Field Experience Observation Protocol: This instrument is used by the university supervisor to observe the practicum candidate. It documents the observation and provides important feedback to the candidate on areas of strength and areas for improvement.
- Evaluation Protocol for the Practicum Candidate: This instrument is used by the cooperating teacher, university supervisor to evaluate the practicum candidate at the final point of the field experience. It provides documentation to the candidate on the "current" capacity they have to perform the professional educator duties. It should serve as valuable information on areas the candidate needs to improve and strengthen during the student teaching field experience.